Does Your Lawrenceville House Have Mold?

If there’s anything more annoying than an early morning coffee spill, it’s probably the mold that’s making your house their permanent home.  We get that these colonies are such a nuisance, especially whenever your cold air-conditioning mixes with the humid Georgia climate. But hey, having molds around your home isn’t the end of the world. It is crucial, though, that you familiarize yourself with them, so you know how to handle and manage them every time they come around.   

What Are the Different Types of House Molds?


Have you ever wondered what those black, green, white, red, yellow things are growing on your couch, carpet, walls, ceiling, and sink? Scientifically speaking, molds are a type of fungi that grows and thrives in damp and dark surfaces.  These organisms can help break down dead organic matter (e.g., fallen leaves, dead insects, etc.) but can cause serious health issues when inhaled.

There are plenty of fungi species that invade your home as molds, and here are a few of the most common:

Acremonium sp.  

Appearing as pinkish, greyish, whitish, or orangey, this species usually grows in areas where condensation occurs (e.g.,  cooling coils, window sealants, humidifiers, etc.). This type of mold is considered toxigenic, which means that it can lead to detrimental health effects.

Alternaria sp.

This mold has a velvety texture and comes with brownish or dark-greenish hairs. You can usually find these in bathtubs, showerheads, and leaking sinks. Unless you’ve got allergies or asthma, you don’t have to panic when you see them. But it’s important to take them out in the soonest time possible because these species reproduce fast.

Aspergillus sp.

Have you seen a mold with halo-like rings around it?  That could be an Aspergillus sp. Like the Alternaria sp., an Aspergillus sp. is an allergenic mold. But beware, some of its 185 species can produce cancer-causing aflatoxins. And yes, this answers your question, “can mold cause cancer?”

number of mold types that can make people sick
Source: bioMerieux

Aureobasidium sp.

Were you about to change your wallpaper and noticed brown, pink, or black spots on the wall?  If you did, it would be best to wear goggles, gloves, and other skin protection whenever you go near this moldy wall. Aureobasidium sp. can cause infections in your eyes and skin, and they are often found on painted or wooden surfaces.

Chaetomium sp.

Are your water pipes leaking? This could cause the growth and spread of Chaetomium sp.   This mold is common in water-damaged homes and is seen chiefly in roofs, basements, foundations, or leaking plumbing systems. If the white, brown, or dark spots have a cotton-like texture, you might be encountering this type of mold. Again, wear gloves as much as possible

Cladosporium sp.

Cladosporium sp. colonies have a brown or olive-green color. These colonies are typical in fabrics — your couch, carpet, bed linens, curtains, etc. At times, you can also find them inside cupboards and floorboards.  This type of mold isn’t highly toxic but can cause skin, eye, and lung irritation.

Penicillium sp.

Penicillium sp. colonies are distinct because of their velvety green or blue color. These are also usually found in water-damaged homes and can grow anywhere from your carpet, to your walls, to your pipes, mattresses, ducted air systems, and more.  When you see at least one colony of this, it would be best to wear a face mask until the mold is completely removed. This is because the spores can be airborne and cause pulmonary distress.

Mucor sp.

This type of mold is commonly found in HVAC systems and grows in white, thick patches.  If you’ve ever heard of the Mucormycosis infection of the lungs, brain, and sinuses, this mold is what causes it. So before you clean your vents or HVAC units, make sure to wear the proper protective equipment — face masks, face shield, and gloves.

Stachybotris sp.

More popularly known as the black mold, this group thrives in cellulose-rich materials such as paper, wood, cardboard, or hay. These black molds are slimy and toxic and can cause a burning sensation in your respiratory tract. If you have children or neurologically sensitive people in your home, it would be best to keep them away and call a professional mold remediator immediately.

What to Do #1: Hire a Moisture Specialist

To get rid of the molds, the very first step is to throw away all of the moldy materials as soon as you can. But for areas that cannot be disposed of, professionals generally follow five ways to kill your mold permanently.

  1. Dry the Affected Area and Surrounding Surfaces
  2. Seal the Room with Plastic and Tape
  3. Apply Negative Air Pressure In the Room
  4. Treat the Infected Area and the Room with Fungicide
  5. Make Sure the Damp Areas Have Been Repaired to Avoid Mold Regrowth

Remember that a moisture specialist may be different from an air quality inspector and a mold remediator. However, in general, remediation costs can range between $500 – $30,000 depending on the location and scale of the infestation.

What to Do #2: Sell to Quick Home Buyer

If you think the costs for mold remediation are too expensive for you and you’ve been considering transferring to a new home for years, you can also explore selling your house as-is to us. At Spire Property Solutions, we won’t recommend that you sell your house to us right away because we believe there might be other, better solutions for your moldy home.

We will help you explore all your options, and if at the end of the day you don’t agree with all other solutions, then we can craft a cash offer for you as fast as you need it.  Get in touch with us at Spire Property Solutions anytime by calling (678) 318 – 1801 or filling out the form below.

Get More Info On Options To Sell Your Home...

Selling a property in today's market can be confusing. Connect with us or submit your info below and we'll help guide you through your options.

Cash Offer Now

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call Us!